Sunday, January 9, 2011

Well done nature...well done

Thanks to YoTuT for this great action shot
Thanks to Gin Fizz for the amazing picture
 The Grand Canyon is absolutely amazing, and one of the greatest natural wonders in the world.  For the classroom in particular it is an excellent example of weathering, erosion and sedimentary rock.  Nothing can truly show weathering like the rushing power of class 5 rapids.  The generations and generations of the rushing water is an excellent example of how water can cut through rock given enough time.  I have found this to be a difficult theme to express to students.  The ridges on the sandstone clearly show the distinct layers that define a sedimentary rock.  After going white water rafting in Maine, I desperately want to get out to Arizona and try the rapids that attack the canyon walls day after day.  I cringe to think that the canyon is always changing and one day may not exist as it does today, giving me all the more reason to see it soon!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Bryan. To think that something as simple as the Colorado River was able to gradually carve out the Grand Canyon is a pretty remarkable phenomenon. White water rafting in the Grand Canyon...that's definitely something to add to one's bucket list. I have gone white water rafting twice in Maine-- one a great experience, the other terrifying. Remind me to tell you about that one in class. I hope some day you can accomplish that dream.

    ReplyDelete